Tourist Spots : Almora
- Location:: Almora, Uttrakhand (63 km from Nainital)
- Climate:: Summer: 10oC to 26oC Winter: 2oC to 15oC
- Ideal duration to stay:: 1 to 2 days
- Nearest airport::pantnagar(115km)
- Nearest railways:: kathgodam(83 km)
Almora is a district in the kumaoun region of Uttrakhand.it is located at an elevation of 1642 m and 63 km from nainital. It is a base of Famous gorkha rifles military cantonment of indian army. The city is founded by Chand Ruler so old forts and temple are abundant in number.
Almora is famous for its picturesque scenery surrounded by pine trees which is enough to mesmerize the sightseer. The vibrant culture, beautiful handicrafts and the delicious cuisine added a extra bonanza. Almora is also a home of Famous Bal mithai(sweet).
A pleasant and salubrious weather during Summer, temp range: 12oC to 28oC and winters are very cold in Almora temp range: 0oC to 15oC. The best time to visit Almora is March to June and September to November.
Places To See
- Lala Bazzar(200 years old market)
- Govind Ballabhh Pant museum
- Chitai Golu devta mandir: It is situated 10 km almora dedicated to lord golu or golu devta.it is also called temple of bells.
- Nanda devi temple(1000 years old): It is situated above the mall road of almora. The temple is dedicated to goddess nanda.
- Katarmal surya temple (800 years old): It is situated at a distance of 19 km from almora. It is built by a katyuri king, kattarmalla. When the first ray of sun falls on the temple it brightens the idol of the god sun (surya).
- Jageshwar: At 36 km from almora this famous hindu pilgrimage is dedicated to Lord Shiva having 124 large and small temple of shivlings.
- Kasar devi: you can hike from almora(8km) and 10 km by road. This famous hindu shrine is dedicated to goddess kasar. Swami Vivekananda meditates here.
Where to stay
Kumaon mandal vikas nigam(a govt. organization) provide budgetary accommodation. Apart from this there are many resorts and guests houses available at reasonable cost.
Why should you opt for Almora as next holiday destination
- The Almora town is located on a ridge surrounded by Pithoragarh District to the east ,Garhwal region to the west, bageshwar district to the north and nainital to the south.
- The town is founded by heroics rulers of chand dynasty so u can visit ancient temples built many years ago and old forts.
- The famous hub for bal mithai(a choclate sweet coated with white sugar balls) ,chocolate(sweet) and singuri(a sweet made from milk wrapped in leave).
- Shopping can be done from lala bazaar. Almora is famous for its copper utensils. You can buy local crafts, woolen garments, and decorative items (you can find angora clothes).
- Apart from this, other recreational activities and adventures sports like rock climbing, cycling, Burma Bridge, bird watching, sightseeing and trekking can be done.
How to reach Almora
Almora is located on a ridge at the southern edge of himalaya peak. It is 365 km from national capital New-Delhi and 415 km from state capital dehradun. The last railway station is Kathgodam where you can hire a taxi. There are enough buses which can board from Haldwani (Gateway of Kumaoun).
Nearest railway station: Kathgodam, Nearest airport: Pantnagar.
Route to follow::
Delhi » Ghaziabad » Gajrola » Moradabad » Rampur» Haldwani » Kathgodam » Bhimtal » bhowali » Almora